ppp and kernel 2.4.5

Hello:

I just upgraded my kernel from version 2.2.18 to 2.4.5.  I am running the
"potato" version of all my programs, except the following:

	modutils 2.4.6-2.bunk
	ppp 2.4.1-0.bunk
	modconf 0.2.32

I downloaded these .deb's from the following link:

	http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/kernel-24.html

Which I found by following the link titled "Running Linux 2.4.x with
Debian GNU/Linux 2.2" from Debian's main page.

Everything seems to be working okay, except ppp.  When I run "pon", my
modem dials, connects to my ISP, and I can see that I am assigned an IP
address by using ifconfig.

However, no network programs will run.  For example, fetchmail quits with
a "temporary nameserver error."  My /etc/resolv.conf file is correct---it
has two "nameserver" entries.  When I try to run nslookup, it dies, and
says something like, "server didn't return address."  Then I tried
ping'ing the nameserver (using it's numerical IP address), and---even as
root---I get a "sendto: operation not permitted" error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Matt

--