Re: `holding back' packages?

> > Bottom  line  for me  is,  it's  my box,  I  need  to override  Debian
> > occasionally. There used to be  (still is?)  this thing called `equiv'
> > for registering locally installed things with dpkg, but it's more of a
> > hassle  than  I'm  willing  to   put  up  with  for  every  tarball  I
> > build.  Every once  in a  while,  I set  my mind  on gradually  moving
> > completely to src and abandoning Debian.. but hey, I like Debian.
>
> I don't see why you use potato at all, then. If you're determined to
> wreck a "stable" install anyway, why don't you use unstable? At least
> you would have had X 4 debs pretty quickly.

Yeah, but unstable is unstable ;)  With potato + custom stuff I have a
compromise  that  suits me  pretty  well.  And  even unstable  doesn't
provide every piece of software on the planet.

> Sometimes I have that, too. But then I fire up dselect and browse the
> list of stuff I have installed, and I realize that I would have to quit
> my job if I wanted to manage that by hand.

Yeah, massiv props to the GNU/Debian folks for building the most civilized
operating system I've seen so far [there's a lot I haven't seen].

My main  problem with pure src is,  there's like a million  files on a
typical box, and no guaranteed way to tell which one does what.  With a package
system  (Debian, RPM,  ...)  I  can easily  ask  questions like  "what
package owns this  file" and "what files does  this package own".

-chris