Re: nmbd from inetd

On Sunday,  1. July 2001 17:10, you wrote:
> I've seen this happen on some systems.  It is an inetd bug afaik.
> Do a "killall -9 nmbd" every time you restart inetd, for a workaround.
> Or put it in the /etc/init.d/inetd script, as I did.

Ok, I'll do so...

> > This continues for some hours every 10 minutes...
> > Then:
> >
> > Jul  1 14:02:42 julia kernel: Out of Memory: Killed process 2455
> > (apache). even this a few times. But nothing else goes anymore...
>
> Weird, that part never occurred to me on any system.  Is the machine
> very low on physical memory, perhaps?

Julia has 64MB of SDRAM. Sure today this yould be cheap to extend :-))
But this would through away the old modules, because there is no free slot...

> > Notice:
> > - 192.168.76.4 is the win95 compi from my neighbour.
> > - 192.168.76.2 is my debian/testing box.
> > - julia is running testing as well.
> > - both debian/testing boxes do have kernel 2.4.2
>
> 2.4 kernels have different swap allocation strategy.  You need lots of
> swap with 2.4, or you may find yourself running into surprise glass walls.

Oh, I didn't know that. Julias swap is 128MB, maybe I've to extend this a
bit?!?

> > - julia is configured as preferred master, local master and domain
> > master.
>
> In that case, why don't you run smbd and nmbd standalone, instead of
> from inetd?  That way, the inetd bug can't bite you at least.
>
> Running it from inetd is useful if you only serve any smb-related services
> once in a while, and if the daemons would be a waste of valuable memory
> that is primarily intended to be used for other tasks.

Yes. It seems so and I'll change it to run as daemon. I guess I've initially
started from inetd, because it first looks like julia won't do that job. It
just changed over time...

> > What is going wrong here.  What do I have to change to get it work
> > properly. Can anyone advise me somehow?
> > (btw: in man nmbd under -D stands: running from inetd is possible but not
> > recommended! Why is it started from inetd in debian? Or am I wrong here?)
>
> It is started from inetd because your were asked at installation time
> if that is what you wanted.  Apparently you did.

:-) It's just running longer now. I did not remember that there was this
question during install. But as I said, the service got more important over
time and I've configured it to be preferred master later, not on first
install..
Thanks a lot for your help

Andre