Re: How can i get my printer to work??

On Monday 04 June 2001 18:45, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Subject: Re: How can i get my printer to work??
> 	Date: Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 03:26:25PM -0500

> Quoting John Hughes(totaloverseer@home.com):

> > these are both there, along with some other stuff:
> > parport0: Found 1 daisy-chained devices
>
> Might the 'daisy-chained' refer to having a scanner connected to the
> printer port and the printer connected to the scanner?  If so, I know
> I have the wife's Win95 system connected that way but I doubt that it would
> work in linux, tho I have never tried it.

It was origionally connected through a zip-drive, but I fed it right to the
parport when i thought that might be the problem.
The scanner is connected by USB.

> > parport0: device reported incorrect length field (61, should be 62)
>
> Maybe the scanner reporting, if the above was the case.

> Well the parport dos says you have to tell it whaer the printer is
> so...
> The 'lp=parport0 parport=0x378', tells PARPORT which printer port your
> printer is connected to (This method is for PARPORT compiled into the
> kernel). The ,none is to 'not' assign an IRQ to the printer.
> It doesn't require it and I need it elsewhere anyway.
>
> > nothing like that

> > I didnt compile my kernel, im running one of the 2.4.5 debian packages
>
> I have never used a stock debian kernel so don't have any idea what is
> or is not compiled into the kernel or supplied as modules.
> Hint:  cat /proc/modules  or less /etc/modules.conf might help you
> know what modules that kernel is using
>
> OK, since I don't know if PARPORT is compiled into the kernel or not,
> I would suggest that you read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/parport.txt
> as how you tell PARPORT where your printer is varies on how the kernel
> handles PARPORT.  Oh, thats right you don't have the kernel source, do
> you.  Well, if you are going to use linux for very long, I suggest you
> download the kernel-[source|modules] packages and read the Doc files.
>
> In the future it would help if you mentioned your system setup and
> version, at least.  Your problem(s) would be a lot easier for people
> to help you solve if we didn't have to keep asking questions realated
> to you system/setup.

In the stock debian kernels, _everything_ that can be made a module, is made
a module. when i look at lsmod, i can see that parport, lp, and parport_pc
are all inserted.

I believe that the parallel port is working correctly. I dont believe that