Re: A little off topic - Microsoft Networking Problem

Ian> On the windows machines, they are taking forever to pull up
Ian> Network Neighbourhood. It began happenning a few months back
Ian> without explanation and has been happenning randomly ever since
Ian> (we had not changed the network, nor brought any new machines
Ian> online). We have no problems with IPX, or TCP/IP on any of the
Ian> machines.

You should activate a WINS server on one of your machines. (Samba has
the documentation in the file BROWSING.txt, for NT/2000: look for the
right check box.)

You should set up the Windows machines not to use network broadcasts:
- Disable NETBEUI
- Set the Netbios node type (see DHCP.txt in the samba distribution).

This should improve your network performance significantly.

--
G. ``Iggy'' Geens - ICQ: #64109250
Home: <ggeens@iname.com> - Work: <ggeens@capgemini.be>