Re: iptables and 2.4.4 kernel in testing

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 12:23:57AM -0500, Dana J . Laude uttered:
> Actually, iptables works with it built-in to the kernel also.
> Ya just have to follow the build.  I.e, install the kernel
> source,
> then install iptables, do a make mrproper, make
> xconfig(whatever),
> make dep, make bzImage, copy to /boot, edit lilo.conf, run
> /sbin/
> lilo, make modules, make modules_install, copy over System.map.

Yes, I know how to compile a kernel, and you forget 'make-kpkg' :-)

> If you can't get the above sections, go to
> http://linuxnewbie.org
> and read. (actually, it's more detailed than that, but I'm a
> tad lazy tonight.;)

GRAH!!
Modules Are Good[tm].
My boss refuses to use modules, and I hate it.
iptables works best as modules. Using it directly in the kernel prevents the
use of the ipchains and ipfwadm compatibility, and prevents updating
"broken" behaviour modules, such as the recent ip_conntrack_ftp mess.

--
                                                    Steve
  "I'm a sysadmin because I couldn't beat a blind monkey in a coding contest."