Re. Total Confusion

Here are answers to some of the questions that helpful people have posed.

About two hours ago, I installed Debian anew. It was during this installation that I added the modules parport, etc. . The message at the time of installation was "installation successful".

I have successfully installed and used earlier versions of Debian and am familiar with pppconfig.

I know that I am connected because the log says so. I also have an external, U.S. Robotics, 56K modem, which lights up and used to work with any version of linux that I tried, not only Debian and Redhat, but Mandrake, and others.

I have the2.2.r3 version of Debian. The full kernel description is 2.0.38-2.0.38-3.

Even though there has been no break through yet, I appreciate all suggestions.