Re: Re. Total Confusion

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 03:35:03PM -0700, Sidney Brooks wrote:
> modules. After that I was able to install the lp module.
> Unfortunately, after going through this whole new installation of Debian,
> the result was the same. The printer does not appear in dmesg and the echo
> system for printing did not work.

Are those modules _currently_ loaded when you run the echo test?
Use "lsmod" to check.

If they are not loaded, load them and then try the echo test.
You can load them by

 insmod parport
 insmod parport_pc
 insmod lp

Once you've got the echo test working, then you can worry about
setting up your /etc/ files to do this automatically (I don't
remember how this is done).

If they are loaded but the echo test doesn't work, I'm not sure
what to do next (though I'm sure others on the list will know).

Lance Simmons