Re: No sound from CD, but timidity works

On Monday 23 April 2001 06:10, Stephen Boulet wrote:
> When I use a cdplayer and start it, the disc spins up, and it even
> identifies it correctly from the freedb database, but no sound
> comes out.
>
> But when I use timidity to pay a midi file, the sound comes out
> fine.
>
> What's happening? I'm using built in scsi-emulation on /dev/sr0.

JUST wondering did you connect the audio cable on the CD writer to
the soundcard? You can try connecting your headphones to the
headphone jack on the writer's front panel (if it has one). Otherwise
bring out your screw driver. Or you can try extracting the audio data
using cdparanaoia, and then play the resulting wav file(s). It may
also possible to pipe cdparanoia's output to a stream-capable wav
player (though I haven't tried this myself).