Re: Mathematica on Linux

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001, M G wrote:
> Have any of you used mathematica for linux?  i use the
> windows version and find it very helpful... but i
> don't want to pay all that money for a linux version
> if i should just continue using it in windows..
>

> Thanks,
> Michael

Michael,

You may want to look into Maxima, a symbolic computer algebra program
under continual development for last 15 years (similar lineage from
MIT as commercial Macsyma) and just recently relicensed under GPL
(free, then, as in both beer and speech).  It's already packaged for
testing and unstable, and you can download source from main page:
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/wfs/maxima.html

Also, in different vein, but also very useful for GPL unix-based math
use, I assume you're familiar with Octave (www.octave.org) It's
packaged for all Debian current releases, relatively analogous to
Matlab, and in many rudimentary cases, uses exact same syntax.  I've
found octave especially to be a pleasure to use.

Hope this helps and take care,

Daniel

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics