Re: Howto compile package compatible with apt-get

csj wrote:

> If you're lucky
>
> fakeroot
> apt-get source -b aide
>
> I don't think you need to fiddle with the versions number or whatnot.
> If woody ever became stable, the package would probably be either
> obsoleted or revised.
>
> Also, apt-get appears to prefer packages which are installed thru you
> apt sources.list over packages installed thru plain dpkg, version
> numbers being equal.
>
> If you're unlucky, your best bet is to go testing, which really isn't
> that much unstable.

At present my sources.list contains:
deb-src http://ftp.au.debian.org/pub/debian stable  main contrib non-free

Does this mean that I would have to point this at "testing" instead of "stable"
to be able to do:
apt-get source -b aide?
Because aide does not exist in "stable".

But then I will have effectively pointed my sources.list at "testing" - or
should I just point it at "testing" for this one time, get the source for aide,
build it and then point my sources.list back at "stable"?

Is that what you are recommending?

Thanks.

Mark.