Re: Static linkage of files in /sbin /usr/sbin

At Sun, 22 Apr 2001 00:39:55 +0200 , Victor Foitzik <victor@lotty.de> wrote:

> maybe this is not the right mailing list, but I don't know where to
> ask, so this is my problem: why are binaries in /sbin and /usr/sbin
> not statically linked against libraries ? Thought the 's' stands for
> static ?

According to the filesystem hierarchy standard, /sbin is for essential system binaries while /usr/sbin is for non-essential system binaries .. so the "s" appears to be for "system".

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, and 100% yours!