Re: inetd discard/udp: help with interpretation

On Fri, Apr 20, 2001 at 07:42:49PM -0700, serge rey wrote:
> i am trying to diagnose the following log entry (with little luck thus
> far):
>
> Apr 20 18:54:35 gnubox inetd[254]: discard/udp: bind: Address already in
> use
>
> i've looked through output of netstat and don't see anything that seems
> to be related to this.

Something's already listening to UDP port 9; when inetd tries to bind
to that port (since inetd provides discard service by default) it
can't.

Check to see if inetd is already running.

You can also comment out the discard entry from /etc/inetd.conf in my
opinion, you probably don't need it.  I think you should figure out
what's listening first :)

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.