XF4 Xvideo extension

This has been bothering me for a while,

How do I use the xv modules in a XF4 on a voodoo3 card?  I have been using
XF4 for some time now.  I use Debain unstable and I use applications like
xawtv, aviplay, and maybe others that say they can use the xv in XF4 and
all say "No hardware acceleration detected!"  Does xv work with voodoo3?  I
know only Matrox can do video scalling, but voodoo3 should be able to
something.
  Is there anyone else that uses voodoo3 and Xf4 that has xv working?  Is
it my XFree86Config-4 file?  I use xserver-xfree8 4.0.2-13.  I would like
to get this going, any HOWTO would also be helpfull.  Although I think I
have read all the mains ones.

cheers!
james