Re: RAM economy tips

At 987806447s since epoch (04/20/01 11:40:47 -0400 UTC), Robert Voigt wrote:

> > What does free say?  Are you really out of memory?  Does top show anything
> > that's eating a lot of memory?  Finally, do free and top show the correct
> > amount of memory for your system (512MB)?
>
> I didn't know free and top until now, I took the information from KDE system
> guard, which is probably just a frontend to those commands.
> I was really almost out of memory, and there already was some swap being
> used.
> Yes, they show the corect amount of memory.

try running 'top', and then hit "M" (capital!!)

That will sort the process list by memory usage.  See if anything looks
really weird.  The field to look at is RSS (the amount of physical RAM being
used by the process).

Additionally, Noah had a good point: swapping is not necessarly bad.  If the
machine is thrashing, that's a little different.

Finally, check your load average.  Is it high (ie, greater than 3)?

Jason

--
Jason Healy    |     jhealy@logn.net
LogN Systems   |   http://www.logn.net/