Re: Gnome taskbar

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 03:13:48PM +0200, Duser wrote:
> how do I start up the gnome taskbar (you know, the one with applets
> and a menu and the desktops map...) after I have initialized X?
> Well to tell the truth i need some background on how Gnome works,
> where can I start?

i guess www.gnome.org would be the general starting point..

if you just want to start gnome when you "startx" touch a file named
.xsession and edit it.. try the line "exec gnome-session" first.. if
sawmill/sawfish doesn't start (that's the case with a stock 2.2 release)
then add the line "sawmill &" before the "exec..." line in .xsession..
(don't do that in ximian gnome, though, cause it slows down the
startup.. sawfish is loaded automagically in ximian..)

hope that helps.. have fun..
	frank.