Re: /etc/hosts.deny

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 12:46:49AM +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On 08 Apr 2001 14:33:20 -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
>
> > yes he does, portmap in debian uses tcpwrappers without being run from
> > inetd (which is impossible for portmap).
>
> Ethan Benson, you're my hero. I've been searching for this info for
> hours now. All I need now is that you tell me that this ...
>
> sonic:/etc/init.d# tcpdchk
> warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 14: portmap: service possibly not
> wrapped
> warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 15: mountd: no such process name in
> /etc/inetd.conf
> warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 16: lockd: no such process name in
> /etc/inetd.conf
> warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 17: statd: no such process name in
> /etc/inetd.conf
> sonic:/etc/init.d#

these are warnings not errors, ignore them.

> ... is ok. I have those in hosts.allow/deny (there is another mail in
> thew current thread that details my setup, if you care), but somehow
> wasn't sure if the libwrap stuff really is the way I believed it is
>
> Any comments appreciated

portmap rules must use the ip address not a hostmask.  since dns
lookup isn't possible with portmap.  (in some setups you need to
contact the portmapper to do a dns lookup, so if dns is required to
access portmapper you get into a catch-22).

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/