Re: dist-upgrade to woody

* Patrick Mauro <pmauro@engr.uvic.ca> [030401 12:33]:

<snip!>

> I have potato installed on my machine.  When I upgraded to woody I got gross
> problems.  First, as I understand it, I did the correct upgrade steps.
> - modified sources.list to reflect that I want woody stuff now.
> - apt-get update
> - apt-get dist-upgrade

Yep.  Them's the steps.

> The big problem is that my X won't work!  Whenever I try to run it, I now get an
> error saying something like unable to stat file /etc/X11/X.

Well...woody and potato handle X and its configuration very differently.
Woody uses X 4.02 (I think) while potato uses 3.3.6.  There are a number of
differences, not the least of which is that your X configuration is no longer
stored in /etc/X11/XF86Config but is now stored in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

> I poked around google and so far from what I've seen, /etc/X11/X should be a
> symlink to /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_SVGA.  Also the file /etc/X11/Xserver should
> contain the lines
> /usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA and console.

Make sure that when you are "poking around on google" you are poking around
for data on XFree86 4.02 and not 3.3.6.  The new X doesn't really use XF86_SVGA
anymore.  I believe that the preferred server and method of accessing the
server in XFree86 4.02 is via a symlinking /etc/X11/X -> to
/usr/bin/X11/XFree86.  Like I said...lots of changes where X is concerned in
woody.

> What's everyone's thought on this.  Also, why didn't the upgrade set this up
> automatically?  I would think when it replaced the old version of X it would
> have done it.

Keep in mind that Woody IS "Testing".  When it goes stable, it may do this
automagically but for now it doesn't.  When you play with anything other than
stable you have to be prepared to "diddle" with the settings yourself.

> One last question, why did they take XF86Setup away.  I always had problems with
> XF86Config, but not with XF86Setup.  If worse comes to worse I guess I'll have
> to learn the art of XF86Config files (it never works after running the Config
> program).

Not sure.  The good news, however, is that the new XF86Config-4 file is a LOT
easier to mess with and to understand.  You shouldn't have too many problems
"learning the art".

This issue has been discussed a lot over the last few months in the Debian User
lists...I'd recommend you search the archives at http://lists.debian.org and see
what you can find.

robert a. jacobs