Re: [OT] running a PIII with no fan?

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 12:51:11PM -0800, idalton@ferret.phonewave.net wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 11:19:19PM -0800, Krzys Majewski wrote:
> > Noise.
> > -chris
> >
> > On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Roberto Diaz wrote:
> >

> > > Why do you want to burn you CPU? a fan is very cheap.. less than $15 some
> > > models. You can buy one in all computer stores.
> > >
> > > Just curious.. why do you want to make this? (maybe you have other
> > > solutions)
> [snip: wanting to run without a fan]
>
> I hear there exist fans that can turn on and off according to
> temperature. The local computer shop down the road is trying to find one
> for me. Aparantly the newer P3 box sets have temperature-driven
> variable-speed fans, too. And I believe some motherboards can even
> control the fans through i2c, though I've not personally run across one.
>
> I was running my K6/300 for a while with the fan power disconnected, and
> attaching it when doing CPU-intensive things like compiles and music. I
> also have noflushd installed and have the hard drive spin down.

You might want to take a look at www.supermicro.com. They make some
excellant motherboards, all of the newer ones use variable speed temperature
control feedback - the temperature of the CPU is available off two pins
on the CPU which is then used to control the speed of the fan. You may want
to contact them to ask them whose fans they use.

Matthew

--

Matthew Sackman
Nottingham,