Re: help: 2.4.0 kernel and /dev/shm

> I'm trying out the new 2.4 kernel on my Potato box.  I upgrade
> modutils to the version currently in Woody (2.4.1).  Works real nice
> except for a slight problem I ran into.  I can't mount the System V IP
> shared memory on /dev/shm at bootup.  I get this error message:
>
> shmem fs invalid option
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock or none,
>        or too many mounted file systems
>
> I said YES to 'General setup'->'System V IPC' and NO to 'File
> systems'->'/dev file system support' when running 'make menuconfig'
>
> I added this line to /etc/fstab as the
> linux-2.4.0/Documentation/Changes says to:
>
> none	/dev/shm	shm	defaults		0  0

Well my workstation says:

shm	/var/shm	shm	defaults	0	0
^^^

Don't worry about /var/shm vs /dev/shm - it's just a mountpoint and will
work fine either way.

> I created a directory /dev/shm with permissions 755.  The 2.4 docs
> don't say to, but didn't say not to.  A mistake?

It won't matter - the permissions on /dev/shm will be changed to 1777 by
the kernel.

> The kernel boots and even though it can't mount this virtual filesystem,
> everything else seems to work--so far.

The shm filesystem is needed for stuff that uses shared memory segmets (ie
apache, samba, etc) to work.

> Can't believe how much faster the machine boots and runs compared to
> 2.2.18!!  Nice work Linus and all the other kernel developers!!

Yea, I noticed that too.  I see you haven't tried to push on it yet.
You'll get blown away by the results of some speed trials with dbench
compared to 2.2.x:)  But it seems a bit slow compared to 2.4.0-prerelease.
Maybe it's just me.

> Can someone tell me where I went wrong.  I tried searching the 'net
> for a clue to no avail.  I'm sure it's something stupidly simple I'm
> overlooking. Can anyone point it out?  Thanks for the help.

- --
Phil Brutsche				    pbrutsch@tux.creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: 9BF9 D84C 37D0 4FA7 1F2D  7E5E FD94 D264 50DE 1CFC
GPG key id: 50DE1CFC
GPG public key: http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/gpg-public-key.asc