Re: upgrading the kernel to 2.4

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:45:39AM +0100, Nico De Ranter wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I tried to compile a 2.4 kernel, however it turns out the
> /lib/modules directory has been restructured and now the system
> can't find any modules anymore.  Is there any package that might
> resolve this or should I install modutils from scratch?

Just install modutils from woody and that's all you need. If you are
upgrading box with dialup connection you need propably ppp package from
woody and if you compile ppp options as a modules, you will need such
lines in some file in /etc/modutils dir (I've made file /etc/modutils/ppp
for this):

alias char-major-108    ppp_generic
alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty
alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate

Naturally after creating such file you need to run "update-modules" to put
changes into /etc/modules.conf.

That's all what I needed on my home box (standard Debian 2.2) to have 2.4
kernel working perfectly.

--
|Leszek Gerwatowski|    _/_|_\
"Don't fix it if it isn't broken"