Re: upgrading the kernel to 2.4

I found a mail from a few days ago (wasn't in the archives yet?) that solved my
problem:

 make sure you have at least the following versions:

> > o  Gnu C                  2.91.66          # gcc --version
> > o  Gnu make               3.77             # make --version
> > o  binutils               2.9.1.0.25       # ld -v
> > o  util-linux             2.10o            # kbdrate -v
> > o  modutils               2.3.18           # insmod -V
> > o  e2fsprogs              1.19             # tune2fs --version

if needed also:

> > o  pcmcia-cs              3.1.21           # cardmgr -V
> > o  PPP                    2.4.0            # pppd --version
> > o  isdn4k-utils           3.1beta7         # isdnctrl 2>&1|grep version

Most of them are available from woody (you don't have to do a full
upgrade to woody, just upgrade the required parts). modutils 2.3.18
isn't available however but I found 2.3.23 somewhere in the pool directory
and it installed without problems.

Nico

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 09:41:38AM -0200, Mario Olimpio de Menezes wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2001, Moritz Schulte wrote:
>
> > Nico De Ranter <nico@sonycom.com> writes:
> >
> > > I tried to compile a 2.4 kernel, however it turns out the
> > > /lib/modules directory has been restructured and now the system
> > > can't find any modules anymore.
> >
> > You simply need a newer version of modutils.
> > You could fetch Unstable's (or, is it already in Testing?) modutils
> > source package and compile it on your Potato system..
>

> it didn't help me! version in unstable(testing) is still 2.3.11 and 2.4
> kernels need at least 2.3.18 (from Changes).
>
> I have to load my modules manually up to now :-(((
>
> []s
> Mario O.de Menezes            "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but
>     IPEN-CNEN/SP                 is the Lord's purpose that prevails"
> http://curiango.ipen.br/~mario                 Prov. 19.21
>

> --

 "It has been said that there are only two businesses that
  refer to customers as users: illegal drug trade and
               the computer industry."
Nico De Ranter
Sony Service Center (SDCE/NEE-B)
Sint Stevens Woluwestraat 55 (Rue de Woluwe-Saint-Etienne)
1130 Brussel (Bruxelles), Belgium, Europe, Earth
Telephone: +32 2 724 86 41 Telefax: +32 2 726 26 86
e-mail: nico.deranter@sonycom.com