Re: connection to internet fails?

Lo, on Wednesday, January 3, M.B.Midden did write:

> Hi
>
> a few days a go everything worked fine but i rebooted, and i had not al
> settings in the right places, because after reboot the settings were gone
> ( earlier today i asked how to boot the ip chains and stuff so that :). If i
> configured /etc/network/interfaces and ifconfig gives this output, it should
> work? because it doesnt when i ping to www.altavista.com or to the DNS
> servers ip, nothing happens. ( ping over the local network works ).
>
> grtz Dunki
>

> **output of route**
>
> ernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
>      ---> where localnet => is this correct must, have the isp_ip?

I'm not entirely sure I understand this question.  And what is `localnet',
anyway?

> localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 sit0
> 10.10.10.0      *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
> default         10.10.10.1      0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
> default         <isp_gw_here> 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

I think your default routes are the problem.  Outgoing traffic will always
use the *first* route that matches, so you're sending generic internet
traffic to 10.10.10.1.  I don't know your network topology, but since this
is a private IP address and you've explicitly listed your ISP's gateway on
the other default route, this is most probably not what you want.

I'm a little unclear how the Debian netconfig stuff works with multiple
networks, but I suspect you should remove the gateway entry from the eth1
section of /etc/network/interfaces, then restart your network system
(/etc/init.d/networking restart).

Richard