Re: ASUS A7V Promise Ultra 100

Rob Leach wrote:

> If anyone has some experience with getting Debian installed on a system with the ASUS A7V motherboard or knows of some helpful hints or links that would get me up and running I would be greatful for you thoughts and insights.

I don't have a Promise card, but I've dealt with the HPT366, and it's a
bit of a bear along the same lines.  My path was to use the regular ATA
controllers, add a UDMA-patched kernel, and then rebooting/adjusting
system files.  You should also be able to use the UDMA66 boot disks for
Potato, but I didn't have any luck with them.

If you want to try what I did, use the regular ATA controllers to get
the base system running, then download the package
kernel-image-2.2.18-ide_2.2.18-1_i386.deb (note `-ide' at the end of the
package name).  It's not committed to Potato, so you'll have to download
it from a Debian mirror, in the neighborhood of
/debian/pool/main/k/kernel-image-2.2.18-i386/.  After getting the base
system and this kernel package installed, use mkboot to produce a
bootable floppy, change the cables as you please, and boot from the
floppy using:

  LILO:
  linux single root=/dev/hdeX

Naturally, X being replaced with the partition number / is to be mounted
on.  When your box boots, edit /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf to reflect
hdeX instead of hdaX in all instances.  Run lilo, and try to boot from
the hard drive instead of the floppy.  It worked for me, YMMV.

--
-=|JP|=-                "Why, oh, why didn't I take the blue pill?"
Jon Pennington        | Atipa Linux Solutions   -o)

6D04 39E0 CAE9 9ADA 2CA3  2EBE 898A 6C37 CA1E A29C