Re: potato instalation (despair)

To quote "Antonio A. Lobato" <tom@splicenet.com.br>,
#
#   I already tryied many ways to install the potato packages(because I
# already installed it Basic System from hard disk), but it`s how if my
cdrom
# reader don`t existed.
#   Also it`s impossible I acess the internet from Linux because my
modem is
# the US Robotics Winmodem, and is not compatible with Linux. It remains
the
# follow alternative:
#
# download the packages that I want from the internet to my Windows
partition
# and install it from the hard disk. I don`t want install much packages.
Only
# the basic: X11, gcc, gv, latex, xterm.
#
#   -What do you think of all it ?
#
#   -How do I install this packages from a local hard disk ?

Well, my bet would be that you'd end up downloading dozens(if not more)
packages, just to have those programs you mentioned.

However, if you go that route, use 'dpkg' to install them. For instance,
"dpkg -i /mnt/Downloads/Debian-deb/*", where /mnt is you mounted Windows
partition, and /Downloads/Debian-deb is where you downloaded the
packages to.

Dave