Re: <newbie> public_html directory requires chmod -R 755 constantly?

Stefan Harris <stefanh@dmfcu.com> wrote:
>Whenever a change is made to anything in the public_html directory, I must
>
>chmod -R 755 public_html
>
>before those files can be accessed from the web.  I am so new at this,
>but I am sure there is a way to make this directory 755 permanently,
>isn't there?  Does it have to do with ownership? (chown?)

It sounds, perhaps, as if those people writing to that directory need to
run 'umask 022' before doing so? (A process' umask is the permission
bits which are never set on files created by that process.) There's no
particularly natural way to make sure people do that (you can always
change the permissions of files you own), but you can educate your users
appropriately and provide shell aliases or whatever to make it easy for
them (if other people than you are involved, that is).

Cheers,