rsync and harddisk memory dissapearence

For a couple of days already I have been observing the following strange
thing:
I run
rsync -v -etcetera kdesite:: /mnt/drC/kde_mirror
Setting: drC is where /dev/hda1 is mounted. My linux runs from /dev/hdb
Now, after just a couple of hours, my memory shows to be down by about
400 mb, which is impossible in a 36k dialup connection!!! Actually, it
has never happened before.
Any way, my kde mirror gets filled in hda1, but not by 400 mb! After a
few these such, I am now down to about 1 mb free space!
What can I do? Any ideas for things to check?
Thanks,
AR