Re: Multimedia Performance

On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, Philipp Schulte wrote:

> From all I have heard the missing pentium optimizations shouldn't make
> much difference.
> You should check if your HD is working in UDMA-mode
> $hdparm /dev/hda

Hi Phil,

Thanks for replying.  From hdparm...
 using_dma    =  1 (on)

> because this is what the patch is ment for. I don't need the IDE-patch
> on my Athlon-system, I just do a "hdparm -d1 -X68 /dev/hda" in my boot
> scripts and it works.

As I understand it, the Viper chipset isn't supported without the patch.
I found that if I tried to do "hdparm -d1" without it, nothing happened.

Are you using that chipset, or some other disk controller?

--
David Steinberg
steinber@interchange.ubc.ca