Re: copying a file system across the network

On Tue, Jan 02, 2001 at 08:27:05AM -0500, David B. Harris wrote:

> I'd suggest one of two methods:
>
> 1) 'umount <mounted filesystems you don't want copied: ie /proc>; tar c
> / > partition.tar' -or- 'umount <mounted filesystems you don't want
> copied: ie /proc>; (tar c / | gzip -9) > partition.tar.gz' if you've got
> more CPU power than network bandwidth.
> 2) and I'm not sure about this, but 'scp' would be good here. It will do
> on-the-fly compression. Just read the docs to double-check that it
> handles links and device files properly. It's part of 'ssh'.

here is a fun trick:

tar cf - / | ssh -C host 'cd /mnt; tar -xf -'

ssh -C enables compression which is think is default anyway.  gzipping
before going over ssh compression is redunant and unlikely to gain all
that much.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/