inefficiencies in apt-get update

apt-get update is annoyingly slow for modem-based users, and also puts an
unnecessarily heavy
load on the servers, for the common case where only a small change is made
to the Packages
or Source file for a part of the distribution.  I just sucked down a
megabyte-sized file to
find that one line had changed, for a package I don't care about.  Why
can't apt-get update
send diffs to these large files rather than sending whole files?

One possibility would be to just build the thing on top of anonymous CVS.
CVS already knows
how to just send the changes to a file.