Re: upgrade to 2.2.18

* patd@dahiroc.net <patd@dahiroc.net> [010101 13:32]:
> hi all
>
> i just finished upgrading my machine to the stable 2.2.18 kernel and
> everything seems to be working fine.  i just have a bunch of little
> questions someone could shed light on.

<snip! question 1 and 2>

> 3)  update-modules /lib/modules/2.2.18
> 	i've updated my modules.conf by turning off the following
> 	network protocols:
> 	 alias net-pf-3 off              # Amateur Radio AX.25
> 	 alias net-pf-4 off              # IPX
> 	 alias net-pf-5 off              # DDP / appletalk
> 	 alias net-pf-6 off              # Amateur Radio NET/ROM
> 	 alias net-pf-9 off              # X.25
> 	 alias net-pf-11 off             # ROSE / Amateur RadioX.25 PLP
> 	 alias net-pf-19 off             # Acorn Econet
> 	chances are i don't need these modules.  i then ran
> 	update-modules but now i get this message during start-up:
>
> 		Dec 31 16:59:52 yakko modprobe: Note:
> 		/etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> 		/lib/modules/2.2.18/modules.dep
>
> 	is this normal?  should i touch modules.dep to get rid of this
> 	warning or did i do something wrong.

This is a known bug.

Debian Bug Reports Logs:  #53247
Title: modutils: modules.dep generated during boot has incorrect timestamp
Age:  336 Days old as of 21 November 2000

  Manifests as a message during boot that says:

  "insmod: Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than /lib/modules/2.2.17/
   modules.dep"

  Suggested workaround:  as root, issue "depmod -a" following boot.

It was a problem in 2.2.17 and, given the age of the bug report, it appears the
maintainer is not in any hurry to fix it (because it is not a catastrophic
problem) or that it is something that will be difficult to fix.

Hope this helps.

rob