Re: potato modules upgrade on Mac 68030

I have the debian potato 2.2r2 6 CD-Rom set.
The installer hangs when trying to read large files
from the CD-ROM (scsi reselect bug?). In order to solve this
I was advised to use the 2.2.17 kernal and modules which I have
downloaded. After installing base2_2.tgz, I switch to a virtual
console and unpack the new modules into /lib/modules/2.2.17
When I boot up, depmod complains about the modules not being
owned by root. What is the correct proceedure to upgrade modules?
Detailed answers would be much appreciated - I am a Linux newbie!
Thanks in advance for any help.

--Nick