Re: Securing bind..

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Petre Daniel wrote:

> thank you all very much.
> you're right.if one doesn't have anything useful to say i'll recommand him
> to let others help..
> thx guys.

Hi Petre,

Maybe the initial suggestion to use djbdns wasn't worded in the best
possible way, but might I suggest that you consider the possibilities
djbdns, which could perhaps make your life a bit simpler?

Your requirement was for a DNS server which does name resolution for
clients on your internal net and serves out names for a few .ro domains to
the Internet at large.  So here are my points:

- djbdns comes with the security features you require "out of the box".

- Yours does not sound like a large and complex setup with years of BIND
configuration development behind it, so you have little to lose if you do
try djbdns.

- In my experience, it is very easy to set up a system like the one
you describe using djbdns.

- It also sounds like you're busy enough, so In My Humble Opinion(tm) you
will save time administering djbdns.

Sources of djbdns debs:

potato:

Gerrit Pape has some unofficial debs at the following apt source:

deb ftp://ftp.innominate.org/pub/pape/Debian potato unofficial innominate

apt-get install djbdns

woody or sid:

There are official installer packages:

apt-get install djbdns-installer

If you do decide to try it out, then I am at your disposal to help with
any setup queries you may have.

Best regards and a happy new year,

|      George Karaolides       8, Costakis Pantelides St.,         |
|      tel:   +357 99 68 08 86                  Strovolos,         |
|      email: george@karaolides.com       Nicosia CY 2057,         |
|      web:   www.karaolides.com      Republic  of Cyprus          |