Installing Debian

Hi,

I have a problem installing Debian "potato"
After all packages were installed it told me
that one package was not installed properly.
That was the x-server settings.
When It tried to re-do it, it managed to
start the x-server but it didn't respond at all
and it started in a very bad resolution.
I had to restart my computer.

My question are:
1. What is the status of the installation?
What should I do to fix it? I can already log
into the system.

2. How should I set up the xserver?
My hardware is:
mouse: Microsoft Intelimouse (2 buttons+wheel
connected to the computer to the computer using
a round socket). Until now debian ignores my mouse.
I've noticed that the installation suggested
the device /dev/mouse but it does not exist (yet?).

Video card: Creative Technology -
3D Blaster Banshee PCI/AGP with 16MB memory.

Monitor: LG FLATRON 795FT Plus.

Thanks,
Yuval Scharf