Re: "C" Manual

wsa wrote:

> As others have said stear clear of OS specific topics...
> Even if you want to start using OS specific stuff later on i think it's best
> to start out with real C++.

You say that as if C were merely an 'unreal' C++, which is just not
true. They are two different languages, though obviously C++ is a
derivative of C. Anyone interested in C++ should learn both, in order to
understand why C++ is the way it is. And should also learn a real OO
language like OCaml or Smalltalk to see why C++ is such an atrocity,

> In my opinion you should even avoid 'plain' C because you'll end up
> learning things you can ditch in C++ cause there are more effecient and
> new ways of doing things in ++.

> And make very sure whatever book you get really really restricts to C++...
> cause there's a shitload of them that sneak in non C++ stuff like the
> dreaded conio

True, one must always be on the lookout for books that don't really want
to teach you C++ (or C), but rather C++ or C for MS Windows. Even books
that aren't Windows-specific rarely seem to discuss how to write
portable code, though, so it'll be sheer luck if you end up writing
anything really complex that works on platforms other than the one you
developed it on.

Craig