multiple ethernet cards

I tried.
I can't find it.
I am trying to set up two NICs for a firewall boxen. I've done this with Slackware....

I think what I need to end up with is this:
add an entry into /etc/network/interfaces that goes like this:
    iface eth1 inet dhcp  ( I have a dhcp connection on the internet )

And I need something in the /etc/modules.conf like: alias tulip eth1
and this is where I get stuck.

I know that Debian doesn't directly modifty the modules.conf file, but I can't find anything that tells me how to set it up. /etc/modules has a list of modules to load at boot time... But they don't provide an alias...

how do I do this????