Re: Where did my memory go?

> Hi,

Hi!

> 	Here is the output of 'top' on my system :

Cut this, mm mm

> 	Can someone explain to me why (1) I am swapping even though the
> RSS column adds up to a small fraction of 256MB (2) Why the summary stats

Linux does preemptive swapping.  AFAIK, you can't turn it off, and if you
could, you probably shouldn't.

It will swap out dormant parts of memory, just in case you start up something
big, like X, or Netscape, or Emacs.  (he he)

Under, say, 128MB of RAM, this makes a lot of sense, but when you go to half
and gig and beyond, it becomes less useful.

> say I'm using 229MB even though there isnt anything running that accounts
> for that memory usage? The kernel is 2.4.16 - if it matters.

The used counter counts shared pages wrongly.

Shared libraries (.so files) that are loaded only once for several programs,
get counted once per program using them.

This is a bug, and no, all your memory is not being eaten.

> Thanks,
> Jor-el

Ah, never worry!
-Tech