Re: "C" Manual

On 20 Dec 2001, Phil Beder wrote:

> Where can I find a good, complete manual for C and C++ programming
> languages for the gcc compiler.  Other resouces for learning C also
> accepted.  I played with C when I was a mainframe programmer and wanted to
> get back in touch with it again.

(Comments about general C/C++ books).

For C++ I think the "C++ Primer" is pretty good. "Effective C++ and More
"Effective C++" also get very good press, though I am not very familiar
with them.

A C book I have found useful is the "C FAQ" book by Summit.

You'll find loads of recommendations and other info on the web and on the
C/C++ newsgroups.

A word of advice: ignore the whole OS issue when buying general C/C++
books or looking at stuff on the web. The best stuff is not system
specific as the language is not, and if you restrict yourself to
Linux-specific books you are unnecessarily limiting yourself. If you want
to use Linux specific extensions/libraries, that is another matter.

                             Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.