Re: Largedisk-HOWTO clarifcation

Ani,

> The Largedisk-HOWTO is a little unclear about this, but I take it that Linux
> couldn't give a monkys about the disk size specifed in the BIOS and will
> address the full size of the disk (as long as it's below 127Gb). Is that
> right?

This is true, however, the big implication of BIOS limitations for Linux is the
fact that while the Linux kernel does not address the disk space via the BIOS,
your boot loader (LILO) does.  The boot loader must load the kernel from your
disk, and therefore at least your kernel must be accessable via the BIOS
addressing scheme.

This is simple to get around, you need only make a small (I normally use 50MB)
/boot partition starting at the very beginning of the disk.  Keep your kernels
in /boot, and all will be fine.

Once LILO loads the kernel, any BIOS limitations on disk space are irrelevant.

> Ani

Hope this helps,
-Tech