Re: ping myself

Paul 'Baloo' Johnson <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>
> > well, I can't ping my gateway! I've just installed a basic potato system and I
> > want to continue the installation via internet. The configuration of the NIC
> > was done during the installation of potato. After rebooting the system the
> > message "eth0: Cannot allocate IRQ #0" appeared. Does it has to do with my
> > problem?
>
> Hmm, funky.  No clue on that one.  What module are you using?  (Tossing
> this back at the list since it will most likely bring a better
> response).
>
> --
> Baloo

Marcelo's problem usually means that linux knows that the card is
present, but cannot figure out which IRQ to assign to it.  It tries an
IRQ of 0, but the card doesn't accept that value.  In 99% of the cases I
have run into this situation here, it is caused by the PC's BIOS not
passing on the IRQ info it is using to linux during the boot up.  This
is because the BIOS has been told that a "PnP OS" (Windows??) is
installed and to let the OS handle interrupt assignments.  In the linux
2.2.X series kernels used in Potato, it becomes "confused", notes the
presence of the card but fails to initialize it, and goes on.

I would suggest Marcelo go into the BIOS setup and look for an option
called "PnP OS" and set it to "NO" or "OFF", whichever setting is
available.  This setting can sometimes be tricky to find and the wording
can vary in the actual BIOS setup screens, but it WILL be a question
about the OS installed.  On my AWARD BIOS it is in the PnP/PCI section.
The setting should NOT indicate the OS is "PnP", "Windows", or any other
Pnp OS.

FYI...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-