Problems compiling kernel

I'm trying to compile a kernel to get wireless lan
support for my laptop computer. I have
kernel-source-2.4.16, and the pcmcia-source package
from woody. Using make menuconfig, it appeared that
the kernel would include support for pcmcia, so I
didn't do anything with the pcmcia package. I followed
the steps in the README, and upon attempting a reboot
locked with the message "kmod: failed to exec
/sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt-464c, errno = 8" scrolling
down the screen.

That didn't work, so I attempted to compile pcmcia
separately (no errors) and use make-kpkg kernel-image
and make-kpkg modules. Making modules errored out with
"Module /usr/src/pcmcia-cs failed".

I'm obviously doing something very wrong - if anyone
would care to walk me through this, or point me to a
source of information that explains the whole process
and how it all fits together, I would appreciate it.

Michael Dickey