Re: What causes a segmentations fault?

Brandon N <bneill@yahoo.com> writes:

> My box recently locked up twice, I believe due to static shock.
>
> Now when I start gnome it says gnome-panel could not start due to
> segmentation fault.  A couple of other applications also got
> segmentations faults.
>
> Is this likely due to a hardware problem (memory) or did something get
> corrupted due to the two hard reboots (library perhaps).

Could be either, I would think.  Did fsck find any fs corruption when I
ran after the hard resets?  Anything turn up in lost+found?

Look into memtest (in sysutils) and memtest86 to test the memory.

> Is there a way to compare an installed package with the package
> contents to see if something does not match what was installed from the
> package?

I'm not sure about this, but if you suspect a lib in particular, you can
try reinstalling it with 'apt-get install --reinstall ...'

--
Brian Nelson <nelson@bignachos.com>
BigNachos@jabber.org