Re: Matrox G550 32MB under Woody

On Thursday 27 December 2001 15:53, Janine Roe wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just bought myself a Matrox G550 (as G400 & G450 no longer seems to
> > be available). It has Linux support ofcourse, but I cannot seem to
> > make X work in any higher resolutions than VGA (640x480) and SVGA
> > (320x200)!!? XFree86 (tried stable, testing and unstable as well)
> > complains about missing chipset entries and such... When specifying
> > anything more than 8-bit color depth, it tells me the chipset does not
> > support this resolution. Obviosly it does not recognize the card
> > correctly, wondering how most people got it working? I'm getting all
> > sorts of errors and are at present really confused, so please tell me
> > the steps nessesary to make it work. For the moment I have windows
> > installed, but are keen on getting Debian installed correctly, as I
> > like it much better.
I have the same card here, runnig sid (xserver-xfree86 4.1.0-11). The Matrox
G550 works without any problems. The only thing I had to do was to download
the the mga & mga_hal drivers from the matrox web site, and put them into
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/.

Daniel

Daniel Faller
Fakultaet fuer Physik