IDE Tape setup

I am trying to setup an Seagate IDE tape device.
/dev/tape is not linked.  I saw that the device
created for this might be /dev/ht0?

This Tape device was on the machine when I installed
Debian so I assume it was recognized and setup.  I
am not familiar with IDE tape devices so I am not
sure about it's setup.  It is listed as /dev/hdd at boot.

I am assuming since it is not SCSI that I won't need the
generic SCSI driver.  I am also assuming that if I
compile a kernel I won't need to mark any options specific
to an IDE tape device?  Are these correct assumptions?

Are there any HOWTO's on the subject?  All I saw on LDP were
SCSI tape devices.

Lance