Firewall tutorial

I am a complete beginner to firewalls, I would like to know if they can do
these things:

- record history of packets grouping by port number, TCP or UDP (or
whatever?), data size if any, and any suspicious things like ICMP flood.

- record the actual data as a packet sniffer for a PPP link (my dialup
modem). I am suspicious of what's going on. I want to see ALL that stuff
moving over my link, printing it to a file or perhaps sending it to my
PostgreSQL db in tables where I can select by PASS: USER: etc etc and of
course just inspect the raw data.

Also, need a tut for writing firewall rules. Got to be for a really stupid
beginner who knows nothing! :)

Thanks

--
Penguin
penguin1@dodo.com.au

"Girls are for pleasure; boys are for ecstasy."