help: LSR safety check engaged!

Hi Listers,

I recently installed Debian 2.2R4 on my Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop which has
a Pion Gold Card PCMCIA modem.  During installation I wanted to update the
base system using PPP, so I went through PPPSetup successfully, and it told
me that it found the modem on /dev/ttyS1.  This didn't surprise me - I have
a single serial port and therefore the second serial port must be the PCMCIA
card.

After running Debian happily for a few days I got the latest kernel source,
2.4.17 from kernel.org, and recompiled my kernel including PCMCIA and PPP
support.  When I boot up the computer beeps to say that it found my modem.
However when I typed pon to initialise PPP I got the error message:
ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
printed out twice.  The prompt didn't return, but when I hit enter I was
returned to the prompt.  Does anyone have any idea why this happens and how
I can get PPP working?  I have included part of my /var/log/messages file
which I think may be of use.

Thanks very much with any help.

Regards, Saqib Shaikh
Email ss@saqibshaikh.com
Web site www.saqibshaikh.com

Dec 26 22:02:42 debian kernel: ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
Dec 26 22:02:42 debian kernel: ttyS1: LSR safety check engaged!
Dec 26 22:02:42 debian kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: excluding
0xcf8-0xcff
Dec 26 22:02:42 debian kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: excluding
0x800-0x84f 0x860-0x86f
Dec 26 22:02:42 debian kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding
0x378-0x37f 0x4d0-0x4d7
Dec 26 22:02:42 debian kernel: cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.