cdrecording

Hello people,
I' using cdrecord 1.10-2.2, and when I record audio cds, I am able only to speed at 1x. My recorder is a 4x capable drive, and if I try and record at a higher speed, the audio plays back faster than it should. Data cds work as expected. I did not have this problem with previous versions of cdrecord. So the question is: How do I write audio cds
at 4x and have not accelerated playback?

Anyone also know of a good or not good console based program (or not) that
allows you to copy audio cds directly via a buffer? Ok, the pipe works in
conjuction with cdparanoia, but does not succeed all the time.

Thanks in advance,
David.