Re: /dev/dsp not found: KDE/ALSA - pls help!

Hello!

Sorry for posting the whole message on the list w/o snipping, but I
think some parts of the thread did not make it into the mailing list
and now I really have no ideas anymore what is going wrong here :(.
KDE doesn't recognize /dev/dsp but in fact, everything else seems to
be ok etc... Has anyone had issues like these with alsa 0.9.0b3 or
similar or does anyone know what the problem really is caused by?

Cheers,

Stephan

P.S.: Ross, sorry that I have not replied for so long but I've had
lots of stress the last days :(.

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 08:25:41 -0800
Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:

> The basic sound is compiled into the kernel--not a module.
> Other than that, my sound configuration is as you describe.
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 03:11:10PM +0100, Stephan Hachinger wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is the soundcore.o module also loaded? That's a module directly
from
> > the linux kernel (if you compile the kernel yourself: You have to
> > switch general sound card support to "M" (modularized), but leave
all
> > other options off on the sound card support configuration page;
if
> > you don't compile it yourself: This module should be part of the
> > kernel packages). It it at least necessary with my alsa 5.10
> > distribution. Just try to load it using modconf.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Stephan
> >

> > On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 22:00:31 -0800
> > Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for the suggestions.  Unfortunately, I already had the
> > aliases
> > > in my modules.conf (except I use sbawe).
> > >
> > > I tried setting the sound system to OSS, but still no signs of
> > life.
> > >
> > > I'm reluctant to remove the aliases, since the alsa
documenation
> > calls
> > > for them.
> > >
> > > Argh!
> > >
> > > lsmode shows lots of the right modules loaded:
> > >           35744   0
> > >         9184   0  [snd-pcm-oss]
> >         6016   0
> >            5312   0  [snd-card-sbawe]
> >           5408   0  [snd-card-sbawe]
> >              48576   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-sb16-dsp]
> >            10432   0  [snd-opl3 snd-pcm]
> >        2624   0  [snd-card-sbawe snd-sb16-dsp]
> >        12576   0  [snd-mpu401-uart]
> >        10816   0  [snd-card-sbawe]
> >         3952   0  [snd-opl3 snd-rawmidi snd-emu8000]
> >         15392   0  [snd-card-sbawe]
> > > snd-sb-common           6040   0  [snd-card-sbawe snd-sb16-dsp
> > snd-sb16-csp]
> > > snd-hwdep               3680   0  [snd-opl3 snd-sb16-csp]
> > > snd                    24776   0  [snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss
> > snd-card-sbawe snd-opl3 snd-sb16-dsp snd-pcm snd-timer
> > snd-mpu401-uart snd-rawmidi snd-emu8000 snd-seq-device
snd-sb16-csp
> > snd-sb-common snd-hwdep]

> > modules.conf and

> > > [etc]