How to read CD label?

Is there any utility that can give me the lablel on a CD (mouinted or
unmounted - doesn't matter to me). I generally burn CD's with a volume label
(with cdrecord), and I use them to keep track of what is on the CD,
especially for backups which I encode with the date of the backup for future
reference. However, when I mount the CD (I actually use autofs) I don't see
any way to easily tell what CD is in the drive.  'man -k cd 'didn't turn up
anything that seems to do the trick, and if it is in the CD howto, I missed
it.

Thanks.

Neal