Re: What's a debian kid look like?

* csj (csj@mindgate.net) spake thusly:
> On Monday 24 December 2001 11:19, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > > it happens quite a bunch as some of the most capable debianers are
> > > unfortunately stuck with jobs that force them to use windoze
> > > machines.
> >
> > Assuming most of us live in so-called "free" countries, we are free
> > to get another job then.  Or, lobby to change the brain-damage
> > policies at their work.  I can't imagine anyone wanting to work for a
> > company that forces their workers to use broken, dangerous software.
>
> Quite radical. I'm just curious. I've never used Windows for Net access
> (browsing, email, etc.) Is the One Microsoft Way really the only way?

Yes and no.

> I've heard / read there are non-Outlook options like Eudora, Pegasus,
> AOL, etc. Are all these really crap?

No. The problem is not that there isn't half-decent software for
windows. The problem is that dumbed-down interfaces make it very
difficult to set the thing up in a remotely sane fashion. IOW,
it doesn't have to be One Microsoft Way, but when it isn't, it's
uphill struggle all the way. As a result, majority of windoze
machines are run by morons; most non-morons give up and switch
to $FREENIX.

Dima
--
I have not been able to think of any way of describing Perl to [person]
"Hello, blind man?  This is color."                                      -- DPM